Jan 20, 2015

Recent Reads: Loki's Wolves by K.L Armstrong and M.A. Marr


Loki's Wolves (The Blackwell Pages, #1)Loki's Wolves by K.L. Armstrong and M.A. Marr
Series: The Blackwell Pages #1
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date:  May 7, 2013



 

Format: Hardback
Source: Bought, in my home library


Rating:


 




Goodreads Synopsis: 
In Viking times, Norse myths predicted the end of the world, an event called Ragnarok, that only the gods can stop. When this apocalypse happens, the gods must battle the monsters--wolves the size of the sun, serpents that span the seabeds, all bent on destroying the world.

The gods died a long time ago.

Matt Thorsen knows every Norse myth, saga, and god as if it was family history--because it is family history. Most people in the modern-day town of Blackwell, South Dakota, in fact, are direct descendants of either Thor or Loki, including Matt's classmates Fen and Laurie Brekke.

However, knowing the legends and completely believing them are two different things. When the rune readers reveal that Ragnarok is coming and kids--led by Matt--will stand in for the gods in the final battle, he can hardly believe it. Matt, Laurie, and Fen's lives will never be the same as they race to put together an unstoppable team to prevent the end of the world.
 Review: 

I enjoyed this book a good amount - I think it is very similar to the Percy Jackson series in a lot of ways though so I found it a little repetitive... 

Matt, Fen and Laurie all join up to prevent the end of the world as champions of Viking gods, like Thor, Odin, Loki etc. and their first adventure is to get the shield of Thor back from Loki's descendants. 

I liked that this book was told from multiple points of view, so we hear from Matt, Fen and Laurie - Laurie less so though and I really liked her spunk through it all. She definitely tries to make it known that even though she is a girl she can still be involved in everything. The downside to this is that she kept having to bring it up when the boys wanted her to leave or be protected. I think if you are going to have a strong lead - have a strong lead and have the boys in the book support her to the fullest!

I liked the action in the book, there was a good amount of it, I just was hoping for more in regards to the history of the Viking mythology - I think that would have helped to set it up a bit more. Maybe a Thor/ Loki and monster battle from past as a preface or something, I dunno. I still very much enjoyed the tidbits that were added throughout.

Overall great middle grade read!

3 comments:

  1. I read this book a while ago, and I really liked it as well! I thought it was a lot of fun and a book you could actually learn from (like PJO), especially if you're not too familiar with Norse mythology, like myself. This year, after the last book of the trilogy comes out, I'll probably be finishing up this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Steph! I agree, it gets a bit redundant when you keep getting remind that Laurie can do anything a boy can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really Curious about Norse Myth. Maybe, this books will be great recom for me :)
    Thanks for review ..

    ReplyDelete